The Student Leadership structure at Westall Secondary College provides students from Year 7-12 with leadership opportunities, training and skill development. There are many opportunities to experience positions of responsibility at Westall Secondary College.This dynamic Student Leadership model represents the views of a cross section of students from different year levels, cultures, backgrounds and talents. This broad spectrum of views and values enhances the understanding of the issues that are important to young people. Each Student Leadership Team meet regularly, at least twice a term. Investing in student leadership forums has multiple positive outcomes for the college community.
1. On an individual level, students involved in leadership learn from their experiences:
- It teaches young people to be confident in public speaking
- It offers them opportunities to communicate and present to others and develop these skills
- It builds on skills learnt in the classroom
- It gives students the skills to create and to implement; to lead and follow; to learn from mistakes and to succeed
2. Leadership teams offer students the opportunity to represent the views of their peers and making those views heard.
- Student participation/engagement in what happens within the school and its community
- Student voice in decision making at the school level empowers students
- Student learning and school results improve when students are actively represented in decision-making
- Students actively involved in student leadership are generally happier, and school is a safer place, with better relationships between all members of the community.
The United Nations (UN) convention on the rights of the child (CROC-article, 1990) states "It is recognised internationally that a child who is capable of forming their own view have the right to express those views." Our culture of collaboration ensures a mutual respect between teachers and students and continues to create a school environment in which our students have the opportunity to make decisions, take on responsibility and have an input into the direction of the school. Our teachers value the opinions of the young and creative minds they are guiding and are constantly amazed by the inspiring ideas and the capable organization of our students.
Our Leadership Programs aims to:
- Provide leadership opportunities for all students
- Involve students in the decision making process
- Encourage self-development in students
Student Leadership Positions at Westall Secondary College:
- College Captians and Vice Captains
- House Captains
- Peer Support Leaders
- Student Representative Council (SRC)
- School Council Representatives
- Big Brother/Big Sister Mentors
Expectations of all student leaders at Westall Secondary College:
- All of the above positions are important and are held in high regard by staff, students and parents. The positions involve considerable time commitment from the successful applicants and it is important that students are aware that this is on top of study commitments. The College will support students in positions of leadership by providing leadership training.